Monday, March 4, 2013

"The bass drumming is the anthem we step to..."

All photo credit for this post goes to Joshua Bason, who was amazing in his supporting me in my running, providing transportation, cheering me on, and, of couse, taking photos.
I put together an epic playlist of 200 songs to run to. Obviously I knew I'd hardly make a dent in that, but I like variety and just kept finding more and more songs I wanted on there. I knew I wanted a good song to start off, and then I figured I'd let it go on to shuffle. Well, I ended up having a fantastic eclectic mix of songs come up during my run, but I chose to start with my favorite Blink 182 song, Anthem Part 2. It's used in the film Stick It (which I love) in a fantastic sequence of rebellious gymnasts kicking ass, and never fails to make me smile. Next up was Abba, "Does Your Mother Know", followed by Jack's Mannequin, "Orphans", and then--Emeli Sandé. She's an incredible artist with a fantastic voice and moving lyrics, and I got not one but of her songs on my run--my two favorites.
"I never thought this day would come,
They tell me that you've finally run,
I guess you always said you would someday..."
-Jack's Mannequin, "Orphans"
"Though our feet might ache, the world’s upon our shoulders 
No way we goin’ break, ‘cos we are full of wonder 

Woah, oh we came falling under 
Woah, oh we are full of wonder."
-Emeli Sandé, "Wonder"

Amber did amazing on her run as well! She finished in 45 minutes, far below her goal time of 50 minutes :) After that came "No More Cry", an old but well-loved song by the Corrs. This was the group I ran with for the middle section of the race. Afterwards I found them again, congratulated and thanked them for helping me get through that portion of the race! And the accompanying song--
"The bass drumming is the anthem we step to the heartbeats of our granddaughters and grandsonsAnd rise,Together we rise, together we riseTogether we rise, together we riseTogether we rise, together we rise..."-Flobots, "Rise"
You've got a heart as loud as lionsSo why let your voice be tamed?Baby we're a little differentThere's no need to be ashamedYou've got the light to fight the shadowsSo stop hiding it awayCome on, Come on..."-Emeli Sandé, "Read All About It, Pt. III"
I love the determination on my face in this photo. This was in the final kilometer, when I was slowing down but I knew I had to finish strong, and Emeli Sandé once again helped me along. This song was followed by "Warrant" by Foster the People, and I came down the home stretch and crossed the finish line to "El Niagara en Bicicleta", by Juan Luis Guerra. This is one of my mom's favorite songs by this Dominican artist, and one of mine too.
"Abrí los ojos como luna llena y me agarré la cabeza
porque es muy duro
pasar el Nicagara en bicicleta."
-Juan Luis Guerra, "La Niagara en Bicicleta"
Muy duro, pero no imposible. Victorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment