Friday, May 24, 2013

Five-minute Friday--View


Today's Five-Minute Friday prompt--View:

I love this photo. It was taken in a moment of joy and silliness, in a fantastic weekend when Allison came to see me in Peoria a few years ago so I could show her where I came from. But it means more than that to me. This photo capture so many things that I want to be, my ideals for myself. I want to be strong and brave when life calls me to. I want to be my own person. But this photo also captures something I don't have, and that's a view far into the distance. For a perfectionist, not having a clear plan for the future is terrifying, but I'm learning to be comfortable with uncertainty. My relationship with Josh has taught me that sometimes you have to sacrifice comfort in certain ways to get the things you want. I had to let go of my perfectionism and my need to plan every moment of my life when we started dating, because even though we wanted to be together, it wasn't easy. I couldn't just look out into the future and see a clear picture of how being "us" would work out. And even though I'm here now and loving every day with him, there's still a lot of uncertainty as to how things will work out beyond my year here, after I finish my program. But I'm learning to be brave in the face of uncertainty, and not to let it stop me from taking risks. In the words of Ray Bradbury, "Sometimes you've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down."

1 comment: