Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day.


My mom gave me a copy of the book The Little Prince when I was 12 years old. She told me that she'd read it for the first time around that age and that she'd learned many important things from it. One of the most important, she said, was also the most difficult--that part of loving someone is about letting them go. Unless you've read the book, this probably sounds quite cliche, but it's the truth. It's a book about love and loss, friendship and loneliness, and about finding your way in the world. About finding the things that matter to you--the things that touch your heart. I've read it more times than I can count--once in French class, even--and I would recommend it to everyone. It's short--I can finish it in a couple of hours, though I tend to read it slowly because I like to draw it out.

Go read it. It will probably make you cry. That's okay. And afterwards, you may want to watch a sunset. Or forty-four of them.

That's okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment