Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day.

On Father's Day, I want to share one of my favorite poems. I had a copy of this on a rustic-looking wooden plaque hanging in my apartment in Iowa City. The story written on the back of the plaque, if I remember it correctly, is that the wood was from an old barn that had been on the land where Fermilab was then built. Fermilab is a massive nuclear physics lab where my grandfather worked, and the plaque was given to him by a friend and co-worker. When Grandpa died, my dad brought the plaque home and I fell in love with the poem. If I had to choose anything as my "words to live by",  it would be this poem, and I know my dad loves it as much as I do. It makes me think of him not only because we both love it, but also because he's probably one of the most level-headed, agreeable, and patient people that I know, and I've learned by watching him to remember sometimes to step back and try and look at a situation objectively, even though I tend to be driven first and foremost by emotion. I don't think I'll ever be as patient as he is because that's not who I am, but I'm just trying to find balance within myself.
    Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment