Tuesday, November 25, 2014

20 pieces of me

Drawing inspiration again this week from Kat's writing prompts. I've really been enjoying them so far as a way to get my writing engine going, even if it's just writing these silly little pieces. And I especially loved this prompt.

Five Things. List 5 things we don’t know about you, 5 things you’re knowledgeable about, 5 things you know nothing about, and 5 things you believe.

5 things you (probably*) don't know about me:

1. I have "double-jointed" elbows.
2.  The first concert I attended was a James Taylor concert with my parents at the age of 12, and I loved it! My most vivid memory is of lighters going up during one of the songs and my dad having to explain to me what was going on.
3.  The only speeding ticket I've ever gotten was on a college spring break road trip through Nebraska with some friends, and we were rocking out to Katy Perry's song "Peacock" when we got pulled over.
4. I spent my 21st birthday like any college student would--on a canoeing trip with my friend Allison, which included capsizing our canoe and being rescued by a pair of men with a cooler full of beers weighing down their own boat.
5. I once had a job that required me to wear a full-body Tyvek suit and a full face mask, as pictured below. It's not as exciting as it sounds though; it involved cleaning and cataloging lots of old, moldy microfilm reels in a flooded basement and killing lots of cockroaches.



*Disclaimer: This was a tough one because I know it's mostly my close friends and family who read this blog and therefore people who know quite a bit about me! So sorry if none of this is news to you!


5 things I am knowledgable about:

1. Sewing and quilting
2. Dementia, specifically behavioral and social therapies and person-centred care.
3. Competitive springboard diving
4. Christopher Columbus and the early Spanish colonization (NOT "discovery") of America
5. UK Immigration laws and policies

5 things I know nothing about:

1. Buying a car--yep I'll admit this, I know very little about what to look for when purchasing a vehicle, which is why I appreciated Josh's enthusiasm and knowledge when it came to buying my  first car!
2. Rugby--something very stereotypically Welsh. Josh played for years but doesn't watch it so I've had no reason to or interest in watching/learning about it!
3. Computer programming and coding
4. The stock market
5. Knitting--if you gave me a pair of needles and some yarn I'd be at a loss as to where to start. It's something I've considered learning but I already have too many hobbies and too little time & money to sustain them!

5 things I believe:

1. I believe that self-care is incredibly important! It's easy to overlook your own needs when things are busy and to prioritize other people's, but I believe you can only be your best self when you're taking time to take care of yourself.
2. I believe in connecting with people. I love meeting people and talking to people, and not just in the sense of making friends--I also love those little one-time interactions you can have with people in airports, coffeeshops, on the train, etc. I love finding a connection and sharing it with someone you didn't know five minutes ago.
3. I believe the only people who can truly judge a relationship are the people in it--and I try to live by this belief and be non-judgemental, but I am far from perfect.
4. I believe in laughter as a positive coping mechanisms.
5. I believe that we all have more in common than we realize, but it's often easier to see the differences.

As soon as I started writing this list all I could think of was the Savage Garden song "Affirmation", which I loved when I was twelve. I'd kind of forgotten about it until I heard it on the radio last week on my way to work--and again this morning, two Tuesdays in a row on the same station! So for anyone who wants to give it a listen and have a flashback to the early 2000s, here it is!






No comments:

Post a Comment